Chemical Peels Smooth Skin Stonington CT Dr Duke
So you think you want to do a chemical peel? This is what you need to know to ask the right questions and make sure you get the right peel for your skin type and skin problem, from Dr Duke in Stonington CT.
How are chemical peels categorized
Chemical peels are classified based on how deeply they injure the skin cells--ie how deep the peeling agents are absorbed into your skin. This correlates with to what level the skin cells eventually die and slough off, how much new collagen grows, and therefore the degree of improvement of your wrinkles, acne scarring, or sun damage.
- Very superficial: affects the upper most layers of the epidermis. Skin mildly red. No down time. Minimal skin sloughing
- Superficial: affects to the upper and mid epidermis. Skin mildly red for 1-2 days. Light skin peeling for 5-7 days. The skin will peel but still minimal downtime during that skin peeling process.
- Medium: affects to the lower epidermis and dermal-epidermal junction (DEJ). Skin is quite red for several days, and more intense peeling for 7-10 days. Requires some time off.
- Deep: affects to the upper dermis (so below the DEJ). Skin is very red, raw. Requires several days recovery. These types of peels not done as commonly as carry a much higher risk of scarring.
The Perfect 10 Peel is a medical grade blended chemical peel offered in my office. These types of peels reflect how chemical peels have advanced over time. We used to use only one peeling ingredient at very high concentrations which injured and then rejuvenated the skin. In contrast, the Perfect 10 Peel blends several more natural chemical peeling ingredients each at a lower concentration to achieve the same degree of skin rejuvenation.
These new peels feature "layered technology" where the blended active ingredients work together, additively, synergistically, to potentiate each other--optimizing the results. This new technology is less caustic, safer, more predictable, more focused on specific skin problems so customizable, less uncomfortable, and faster to heal.
The Perfect 10 Peels are categorized as superficial to at most light medium depth peels. There are actually three levels (depths, or intensities) of Replenix MD Perfect 10 Peels:
- Universal: for sensitive skin and darker skin types. Our most gentle medical grade chemical peel
- Intermediate: for sensitive to normal skin types. A few additional ingredients than the Universal Peel
- Advanced: for normal to thicker skin types. Our most aggressive chemical peel--can have some redness and downtime for a few days
Ingredients in the Perfect 10 Peel
The blended components of the Perfect 10 Peel include:
Salicylic Acid: breaks down dead skin cells, exfoliates, lightens discolorations
Glycolic Acid: sugar can/grapes-exfoliates, promotes new collagen growth
Lactic Acid: sour mild - gentle glycolic acid, skin brightener, exfoliant, hydrator
Mandelic Acid: bitter almonds - exfoliant, potentiates salicylic acid, reduces inflammation and redness
Tartaric Acid: white grapes, apples, pears - exfoliator, potentiates all of the above, tones skin
Resorcinol: removes rough, scaley skin so that better healing can occur
Pyruvic Acid: grapes, honey, apples, vinegar - skin brightener, potentiator, medium strength chemical peeling agent, promotes collagen growth
Azelaic Acid: wheat, barley, rye - skin brightener, moisturizer
Retinol: increases cell turnover, reduces melanin/pigment accumulations
Antioxidants: Green Tea, Reservetrol, Cucumber Extract, Bisabolol - soothes, calms, hydrates skin cells
Care of skin before a Peel
Pre treatment skin care regimens would include:
- Avoid being tan for the treatment
- Plan to avoid excessive direct sun exposure for a week following the treatment
- Use some form of both glycolic acid and retinol products to enhance the effects of the chemical peel. Consult with your physician regarding what would be appropriate and best for your skin type and skin condidtion
- Some patients with darker skin or pigmentary issue I pre treat with a hydroquinone product as well (reduces the possible stimulation of melanin)
Does a Perfect 10 Chemical Peel hurt?
The entire peeling process takes 30 minutes. The skin is prepared for the peel with a special cleansing routine to remove make-up, oil, and dead cellular debris which might limit the effect of the peel. Then the peel is applied over 5-10 minutes. Then the peel is neutralized. A few final layers of post peel products are applied, and then the treatment is complete.
During the chemical peel, there is a mild to moderate stinging sensation. Initially there is heat sensation which builds over a few minutes to a mild to moderate discomfort level (5 out of 10). Then in 5 minutes, the peel is neutralized and the discomfort begins to resolve. Your skin is mildly red and has a layer of cream on it when you leave the office.
Care of skin after a Chemical Peel
The skin is usually red for 1-2 days, then begins to peel on Day 3, and peels lightly for 5-10 days. Then your skin feels and looks great. I did a Perfect Peel during my workday, and worked the rest of the my day and my week - so a no downtime procedure for me. I peeled a lot, but it did not impact my ability to go to work. If we do a deeper peel, you may want to take a couple of days off.
Skin care after the chemical peel includes:
- keep the skin moisturized with a bland emollient, applying a thin layer a few times a day-we recommend special healing ointments in our office
- avoid direct sun exposure
- wear a sunscreen
- avoid scratching, rubbing, aggressively washing, picking or pulling at flakes of skin, during the healing period
Is a chemical peel the treatment for you:
Stonington Groton New London Norwich CT?
Chemical peels can help improve the following skin problems:
- sun damaged skin
- rough skin texture
- dull or uneven skin tone and texture
- brown spots
- fine lines and wrinkles
- acne scarring
- prominent pores
- dull skin (you want your skin brighter, more youthful)
Call our office at 860-245-0000 to have more of your questions answered regarding this or other skin rejuvenation treatments. We are conveniently located in Mystic (a section of Stonington) CT accessible to Groton CT, Norwich CT, New London CT, Westerly RI.