Summer Skin Care - Mystic, CT
Summer is a time for soaking in the sun and enjoying warmer weather, but leaving the skin exposed to the harsh summer rays can have a damaging impact. Medical dermatology treatments can minimize sun damage and restore the skin's suppleness for beautiful, rejuvenated skin. Using the most advanced summer skin care treatments at our Mystic, CT state-of-the-art skin care center, Dr. Daniella Duke can improve the appearance, firmness, and texture of aging and sun-damaged skin.
Whether you plan to stay out in the sun all summer or only plan to take advantage of the warmer weather once in a while, it's important to practice good skin care habits. Follow these tips from Dr. Duke to keep your skin at its best all summer long.
Protecting the Skin from Harsh Summer Sun
The best way to keep the skin healthy and beautiful is to take preventative measures with a good skin care routine throughout the year and especially during summer when the skin is more likely to be exposed to the harsh summer sun.
- Always wear sunscreen: Always wear sunscreen when going out, even if it's a cloudy day or you only plan to be out for a short time. Look for sunscreens that are waterproof with an SPF greater than 15 and with broad spectrum-protection. Broad-spectrum protection sunscreens block UVB and UVA light, helping to reduce the risk of skin cancer and premature aging.
- Apply sunscreen 15 to 30 minutes before going out: Sunscreen should be applied shortly before going out. Apply enough so that it takes a full minute to rub into the skin. It's also important to reapply sunscreen every two hours when outside for extended periods of time.
- Wear a broad brimmed hat: A broad brimmed hat helps shield the face, scalp, neck, and ears from the sun and is far more effective at blocking the sun than a baseball cap
- Keep the skin clean: During the hot summer months, sweat, sunscreen, makeup, and moisturizers can clog the pores and make the skin look dull. Cleaning the skin and exfoliating can help keep the pores clear and remove dead skin cells for more radiant skin.
- Stay hydrated: Drinking plenty of water and staying hydrated helps replenish the skin and is especially important during the heat of summer.
Rejuvenate the Skin with Cosmetic Dermatology
Years of sun damage can lead to brown spots, aging skin, and fine lines. Cosmetic dermatology can help diminish the signs of sun damage and rejuvenate the skin. Some beneficial treatments to get your skin summer ready include:
- BOTOX® Cosmetic: BOTOX® Cosmetic can help diminish the appearance of fine lines for smooth, youthful skin.
- Laser and Photo Rejuvenation: Laser and photo rejuvenation can be used to help remove brown spots from the face, hands, neck, arms, and chest.
- Microdermabrasion: Microdermabrasion gently removes dull, dead skin cells to reveal firmer, more even skin tone and texture.
- Platelet Therapy: Platelet therapy uses the patient's own platelets to regenerate collagen molecules, making aging skin firmer, tighter, and more youthful.
Discover Your Treatment Options
For more information about summer skin care or to find out which rejuvenating treatments are right for you, please schedule a consultation with Dr. Duke today.