How to Care for Dry Resistant Skin
Skincare for Dry Sensitive Skin, Stonington CT & Westerly RI
Dry Resistant Skin Type
Dry Resistant Skin is flaky, dry, and sometimes itchy. Dry climates, indoor heating, rough clothes, and no moisturizer tend to irritate your skin.
As you mature, you see more dryness and sun damage (wrinkles and perhaps brown spots). If you protect your skin from excess sun exposure and a healthy lifestyle, your skin will age with fewer issues.
The good news is, because your skin the tolerant of products--you can use them and experiment with them. You can tolerate different types of moisturizers and anti-aging cream.
Your skincare focus should be to hydrate your skin - try to find the right products and be attentive to moisturizing. That will calm your skin down--and then it can tolerate most anything else you put on it.
Recommended Products for Dry Resistant Skin
- Replenix Green Tea Cleanser
- Glycolix 2/2 Cleanser to gentle exfoliate-a few times a week as tolerated
- Glycolix 10/2 Cleanser
- DCL Balancing Cleanser
Moisturizer: Oil-free, light, calming
- Replenix Green Tea Lotion
- Hydrating Serum
- Post Peel Recover System as you need the additional levels of hydration
- Intensive Hand Moisturizer
- High Potency Body Moisturizer
- Aveeno Positively Radiant Daily Moisturizing Lotion SPF 15 or 30
- Neutrogena Healthy Skin visible Even Day SPF15 Moisturizer
Anti-aging treatment: as tolerated, advance slowly, stay away from any ingredients that inflames the skin (alpha hydroxy acids, too strong retinols...)
- Replenix Retinol Serum-strength as tolerated
- Prescription tretinoin
- Vitamin C 15%-30%
- Growth Factor: Neocutis Biocream or Journee (Journee has sunscreen so for AM use)
- Revox II
- Nectifirm for neck tightening and firming
- Lumiquin for hand anti-aging
- Penta Peel-as tolerated-for more exfoliation and skin smoothing
- Hydrating Serum
Anti-pigmentation treatment: as tolerated
Recommended Skin Treatments for Dry Resistant Skin
Skin treatments for Dry Resistant skin would focus on decreasing the oils, the acne, and the sometimes rough texture. The procedures need to be light, not too intense, so as not to irritate the skin. Pigmentation, redness, sun damage, acne scarring, blemishes, uneven texture, and wrinkles also need to be addresses.
Reduce brown spots, patches, scarring, and marks:
- Pulsed light treatments, or IPL
- Laser Revlite Peel (non-ablative laser skin resurfacing)
- Brown spot laser
- Gentle fractional laser skin resurfacing
Reduce facial redness:
Smooth skin texture and uneven skin tone:
Information on this page summarizes and is excerpted from: "The Skin Type Solution" by Leslie Baumann, MD, 2010.