Take Away that Sun Damage!
Laser Brown Spot Removal Stonington & New London CT, RI
Is this your skin issue?
- Do you have more and more brown spots developing on your neck, chest, arms, hands, and legs?
- Are there many small ones, or just a few large dark sun spots, that you are noticing?
- Is the skin in these areas blotchy, discolored, and no longer even and uniform in color.
The Science: Neck, Chest, Arm, and Hand Sun Damage
Sun exposure over time, certain medications (such as estrogen and other hormones), genetics alone--all contribute to the brown spots and sun spots. Generally, a brown spot is a focal area of either a higher number of pigment cells (called “melanocytes”) or an increased number of pigment molecules (called “melanin”) located within the melanocyte. Some excess melanin resides in your your top layer of skin, or epidermis. Some excess melanin is deeper, in the dermis. These different types and locations of increased pigmentation require different lightening treatments. Lasers selectively focus their energy on the melanin to remove the brown spots.
The Solution: Laser & Photo Rejuvenation (IPL)
Laser best targets individual spots and generally removes those brown spots in one to two sessions. Lasers are a medical device which have changed and dramatically advanced the way we treat skin issues. The definition of a laser can help you better understand why your laser procedure is so safe and effective. Lasers are unique light emitting devices which give off a single very specific wavelength of light-targeted to eliminate one issue or problem. Certain lasers have been designed to just remove brown spots; these devices break up the excess melanin causing the discolorations. The treatment is a quick office-based procedure and requires no anesthesia. Generally 1-2 sessions give the best results.
Intense Pulsed Light
The IPL or Photo Rejuvenation device, called the Cutera Limelight, scans over larger areas of diffuse brown sun damage-such as the neck, chest, arms, and hands. The IPL treatments lighten the look of the entire area. A series of approximately four to six treatments decreases the irregular pigmented look of the entire area.
Everyone has a unique combination of brown spots and other skin issues. To best match your specific skin condition, there are several treatment options for reducing the brown sun damage spots and patches on the neck, chest, arms, and legs:
- The RevLite Laser treats individual brown spots
- The IPL device reduces the total quantity of excess melanin when scanned across larger problem areas
- The RevLite Laser Peel and the Fractionated CO2 laser focus on deeper pigment problems such as melasma
- Microdermabrasion and chemical peels more gradually lighten superficial epidermal pigment as well as smooth texture.
Schedule a consultation with Daniella Duke, MD by calling 860-245-0000. She will personally evaluate your skin issues and describe the treatments that would be most helpful for you.